Properties and counter indications of Grapefruit
Citrics grant us vitality, protect us against infections and care for our skin. Grape fruit is one such fruit with several benefits and it’s on trend more than ever, would you like to know more about all the health benefits grapefruit. Take down notes!
Grapefruit origin country is unknown to us but all evidence aims at Asia. It’s globally produces in tropical climates but it’s only ripe on the coldest months of the year from October to march. Among its properties, we can highlight:
-It is a great source of carbs (more than 90%)
-It is low calorie (35kcal every 100gr)
– It contains C vitamin, a key nutrient that facilitates the absorption of iron from foodstuffs.
– Malic acid, oxalic acid, citric acid and tartaric acid.
– It may also contain carotenoids but these only show up on the grapefruits with dark colored pulp
– Grants anti-oxidant agents that slow down the aging process and give the grapefruit its signature flavor.
– provides essential minerals like potassium and magnesium
– it has 1.6 gr of fiber between the pulp and the skin
Health benefits of Grape fruit:
– This fruit brings great benefits for your health and your body. The most important ones:
– Good for the heart:
Having a grapefruit a day helps lower the bad cholesterol levels in more than a 15.5% and triglycerides in a 27% the redder the pulp the stronger the benefit as the pulp color indicates the presence of anti-oxidants.
– Young skin:
Grape fruit rejuvenates the skin due to the great amount of vitamin C that it provides. It makes skin look better as it stimulates the production of collagen and reduces skin spots.
– Avoid Fluid retention:
It prevents constipation and fluid retention.
– Helps lose weight
Consuming grapefruit stimulates the metabolism this fact turs grapefruit in a good sidekick on a diet to lose weight.
– strengthens the immune system.
Thanks to its high amount of C vitamin
Counter indications of Grapefruit
– It has been proven that some medicines interact with grapefruit and therefore its recommended to not mix grapefruit with:
– Oral contraceptives (ethinylestradiol)
– Antidepressants, Anxiolytics, Sedatives
-Cholesterol and Hypertension medicine